Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Indian Summer

Today I've been seeing and hearing "Indian Summer" all over the place.  Living in FL for 17 years I hadn't heard the term. Didn't need to. It was always just "summer"...sometimes it would dip into the 50s for the high. And I used to call that "freezing"...makes me laugh now.

Fall in Ohio is G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S. The scenery just kind of blows me away every time we go outside, drive somewhere, or just even look out my house windows. This year it has gotten colder sooner. The temperatures usually range in the 50s and 60s for the high. A couple of nights it has dipped into the 20s.  We have gotten the heaters and extra blankets out sooner. I love it.

This week though, is apparently an "Indian Summer". I researched on Wikipedia and learned that an Indian Summer is a reference to a time in the autumn when temperatures rise above 70 for several days or more after having had a hard freeze already in the season. The time for an Indian Summer usually ranges between the end of September and beginning of November.

You're welcome for today's lesson.

Last night I took the garbage out while Andrew was bathing Cooper and the temperature, the way it felt, the smell of the air, took me back to when Andrew and I were dating. All I wanted to do was take a blanket outside and lay, gaze at the sky, and talk to my sweet husband. We used to do that all the time when we were dating. I wanted to run inside, grab him by the hand and do some star gazing under a beautiful sky and in some awesome temperatures. Instead I just told my sweet husband about it because a boy who wouldn't go to bed and a sewing project had other plans for me last night.

This year we will be in Florida for Halloween. We will be trick-or-treating with our niece and nephews. Because we are crazy...er awesome... we are dressing up all the kids in a Mario theme. Cooper is going to be a Koopa Troopa. We decided on that because that was Andrew's nickname for Cooper when he was a baby. So, last night, I made a turtle shell.





































And it took me until 1:30 AM. Because I did it by hand, and because I started sewing it together the wrong way. I'm crazy like that. Remember that "because things are never easy for me" post?

Because of my college days bed time, today I napped....Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment