Thursday, September 13, 2012

Road Signs

The other day I was driving and there was a road sign that said, "Road Work Ahead."

And it got me thinking.

What if in life God put up these big road signs for us.

Good signs like "unexpected check in the mail this week" "free babysitter tonight" "new wardrobe coming soon" "your husband is going to do the dishes today" are awesome. But if we saw these signs before they happened, they probably wouldn't be such a big deal to us...wouldn't make us as happy.


Bad signs like "unemployment ahead" "extra finances coming your way" "relationship trouble ahead" "car crash coming soon" "your husband is coming home in a bad mood today" would be the absolute best. I can't find any reason it wouldn't be nice not to be forewarned about these things.

Life is full of twists and turns, ups and downs, and we never know what's coming up next for us. No big warning signs for us.

...Or are there?

There are two instances in my recent past that really stand out as warnings to me.

When Cooper was just a few months old I traveled with my mom and dad to Kentucky. The whole time we were there I kept thinking about hitting a deer. Every time we were in the car, it was all I could think about. Then, while driving one evening, out pops a deer and I hit it. Car dented, not quite sure about the deer, but Cooper and I safe. Ever since then I haven't had that feeling. But I do think God was warning me: "you are going to hit a deer soon". He was warning me with my thoughts. I just didn't realize it until after the accident.

The second one came last year. A dear friend of mine (whose husband is in ministry) once told me that she always prayed that God would work ahead of them, taking them to where they needed to be at the right time...even if to them it didn't seem right. I vividly remember when that wisdom came back into my mind. I was in the garage, sweeping one night when that conversation crossed my mind. I had this overwhelming feeling that I needed to pray that prayer. So that night, while I swept the garage, I prayed for God to take us where he needed us, even if it seemed weird to us. A few days later...yep, Andrew came home telling me it was time to leave Generations.  God was trying to warn me, I just didn't realize it until after it happened.


From my personal experiences, it seems like God does throw up road signs for us, we just don't recognize or realize it.  Probably because it's in quiet ways, like in what we think about.

Even though the quiet thoughts and feelings aren't large yellow signs with warning or danger ahead written on them, I think there are three ways we can be ready for things that come our way.

1)Act on the quiet whispers.
This year I've really tried to listen to the whispers in my heart. Someone crosses my mind, I pray for them, and in turn, call/text/email/facebook them. More than once I have had someone on my heart in a big way and pray for them all week. Then, when I call them, it becomes clear.

2)Be ready for battle
Prepare your mind and heart with scriptures. Dress daily in the armor of God so you are ready for whatever comes your way. I love the way the message states Ephesians 3:13-18

"Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is and indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out."

3)Claim the peace He offers
God is always with us, will never let us go. He is with us in the battle, fighting with us, and for us. In him we find our best protection. He will never leave us on our own, and in that we can find peace. But you have to claim it first. You can't just know about it, you have to experience it.

Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we've come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much you've done
Knowing every victory 
Was your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did you leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, you are faithful
You are faithful, God, you are faithful

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Never once, did we ever walk alone
Carried by your constant grace
Held within your perfect peace
Never once, no we never walk alone

(This is also a song they sang my first Sunday at NewPointe. It brought tears to my eyes.)
Listen to it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment