Monday, February 18, 2013

Cooper's 3.

Cooper is no longer our two year old. He's three. 3!!! Why does that sound so old? ...Maybe because we're halfway to kindergarten...what?!?!  When I hear "3 year old" I don't think anything baby about it. I can't believe these years are going by so quickly.

Last night I hung streamers, a birthday banner, blew up some balloons, and set presents out on the table. I went to bed with anticipation of a little boy waking up to seeing streamers and balloons.

This morning I heard him playing with the streamers and looked out our door to see him with a wide smile. I said, "It's your birthday, Cooper!" He said, "I'm three now?" "Yes, Cooper you're three!" "I was two, and now I am three!" he exclaimed before jumping in bed and giving me a big hug and kiss.

He then wanted to go downstairs. "I wanna go see my birthday party downstairs." He was excited to see more streamers on the stairs and balloons on the ground. And his eyes got so wide with the excitement of seeing his gifts set out on the table. It took everything in me to convince him to wait until daddy was done getting ready for work before we opened his gifts.









He was served a breakfast of blue eggs (his choice!), then treated with a trip to the library, chickfila, and target to pick out some toys with his birthday money. Tonight we ate spaghetti and ate some cake.







While we were in Florida, we had a birthday party with our friends and family. We had a mickey theme since we visited Disney. We reserved a shelter at a park and had a blast!





The kids were able to play on the playground and on the big field next to the shelter. The kids stumbled upon a turtle in the woods...down in a big hole. My friend Amy had the wise idea of telling them that it would turn into a ninja turtle...but only if they didn't watch. Her hope was to get them away from the turtle. It didn't work. My child is semi-obsessed with the ninja turtles and if he thinks there's a slight chance he might get to see that thing turn into one, you'd better believe he's not leaving its sight. When we asked him if he liked his party, he said "YES!" and mentioned the turtle. Who wouldn't like a birthday party with ninja turtle glimpse.



























When we asked him what his favorite part was, he said playing baseball.

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone who came out to celebrate with us. 

When we sang happy birthday at the park we couldn't get his candles to light. After we sang to him, he just pretended to blow out the flames. I was glad that tonight we could have some real flames on the candles.

I tried my best to give Cooper memorable birthday celebrations. I think we succeeded!

And to Cooper:

My "Coopy", "buggy", or "bug" as I like to call you. You are one of the greatest joys in my life. God has blessed your dad and me with a great son. We are so happy to call you ours. 

When you were placed in my arms three years ago, I remember wondering what you would be like as you got older. And with that wondering came many hopes and prayers for you and your future. We are beginning to see a glimpse of who you will be when you are older, as your personality is starting to really shine and solidify.

You are personable. No one is a stranger to you. You will talk to anyone about any topic that comes to your mind. Lately, thought the topics mostly center on your new shoes from Christmas, trains, or ninja turtles. Everyone we meet loves the way you talk and can carry on a conversation. You seem to leave smiles on most of the faces we come across from day to day.

You are encouraging. When we are playing/cleaning/cooking/running errands, I will often hear, "you are doing a great job, mommy." "Nice kick!" "You good at coloring." "Thanks!" "I love you." It melts my heart to hear you utter these words.

You are observant and inquisitive. You don't miss a beat. You will look at the instruction manuals to your trains or your games for the longest time. You try to figure everything out. You want to know why and how things work. And you want to learn to do things yourself.

You are obsessive. When you like something, you obsess over it. Like trains and the ninja turtles. It's all you want to play and talk about. When you get something in your head you want to talk about it over and over and over again. And you are quite particular. You don't want some of your foods to touch. If someone hands you something, you make sure everything stays in the same spot, and don't like it if it gets moved around. 

You are excitable. I could tell you we were going to read a book, walk to the mailbox, or take a bath and you get so excited. So when something big happens like a day at the park, disney, the beach, or your birthday...watch out. The eyes bulge, your mouth opens wide, and you jump with excitement. It is so fun to do life with this part of you.

You are active. Just watching you makes me tired. You can't do anything without moving. And on the rare moments you do sit still, your hands or feet move...or your mouth cause you like to talk. You love to run, play sports, and play with your toys and trains. You keep me on my toes, that's for sure. I can't wait to get you into sports and watch your active nature have an outlet.

You are creative. Imagination is not something you lack. You are often making food, having car washes, going to the doctor, breaking and fixing things, or anything else that you think of in your mind. 

You are flippin' cute. Your good looks are going to get you into trouble one day, I'm sure of it. Every time we go out, someone always mentions your eyes or your dimples. If they are that noted now, I am sure that those eyes and dimples are going to give me panic attacks in your teen years when girls your age start to notice.

While I don't know how all these things will play out in your life, I am certain that God is using all of them to help mold you into the person he needs you to be. I am confident that God is going to use you to do amazing things in this world for Him. You are not here by accident. You were an unplanned surprise to us, but an important, needed, and intentional part of God's story.  

Happy third birthday, Cooper! Three cheers to you!

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment