Monday, June 30, 2014

Maine: Part 2 - Lob-stah Day

Our first full day in Bar Harbor was welcomed with sunshine before 5 am. That's right, light streamed through our bedroom window very early. When I woke up and looked at my clock, I thought the time was wrong. It said 4:47, and I couldn't believe there was already so much light!

We went into Ellsworth (the mainland) in the morning. We dropped off Adam and Julie at church and grabbed some breakfast at Dunkin Donuts and got some supplies at Walmart. Side note: Dunkin Donuts really could have been the sponsor of our trip. It was the very first stop we made at 3:30 am on our drive up. I made the mistake of pronouncing it a little weird, which became the way the rest of them said it for the entire week. On our trip we learned that Dunkin Donuts is extremely popular in New England. It's all over the place, around every corner. Crazy! We had searched for it a few times, and every so often, Bronson would get a reminder on his phone telling him how far it was to the closest dunkin donuts.

After returning to our rental house, Adam's parents came over and cooked up a lobster lunch. Except we don't call it lobster. We call it "Lob-stah." We got to learn how they were cooked, and we also got to learn how to pick them. 
I had a hard time picking it and eating it. However, I picked one just to pick it, and had no problem cleaning it out. It was the act of putting it in my mouth after picking it that made me queasy. Despite the gross moments, it was so much fun to learn something new and to have had this experience. Thanks Mr. and Mrs. Bien!
















After lunch we lounged around (my all time favorite vacation activity). In the evening we ventured to the town square where they had advertised a steel drum band. I was picturing a few guys drumming. In fact: there were about 20 of them. Not at all what I had imagined.

After listing to them for a bit, we walked along the shore path, picked up some neat rocks, and had fun taking pictures with huge rocks.








We ate dinner at a fun restaurant. We sat in a booth that had license plates around it. We sat by the one that was from Stark County, Ohio which is the county right above the one we live in! This night was the first night we got ice cream. I'm pretty sure ice cream became the nightly ritual. It was as if you couldn't go to bed without it. None of our waists are the same after this trip. :/
After dinner, Andrew fell asleep way early. Sarah and I started working on a puzzle (one of three we completed that week). Adam, Julie, and Bronson watched tv until one by one they started fading and heading to bed. Vacation at it's finest, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment