Monday, March 19, 2012

Coffe Date Monday: Adventures in Potty Training


Adventures in Potty Training.

Kind of reminds me of the movie Adventures in Babysitting. Then I'm reminded of my own years spent babysitting. (Just a little favorite past time game of word association for you).

I remember being so excited to start babysitting. 1) I loved babies. 2) I got paid

Then when I started babysitting, I quickly realized it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. There were a few crazy experiences of kids not listening, crying fits, and disrespect that I was glad to go back to my own life at the end of the night. (There were a couple of families that I was completely blessed to have the opportunity to babysit. Families I now model some of my parenting after.)

It was kind of the same with parenting. I was so excited to be a mom. I always, always, always wanted to be a mom. The double pink line indicating I was going to be one was an amazing sight. I remember the moment during labor and delivery that the doctor told me it was time to push. I started crying. Everyone else thought it was because of the pain - WRONG! I was crying because I knew from that moment on nothing would ever really be the same. Our little family of two was changing forever. Was I ready? Could I do it? The tears were tears of fear. Being a mom is one of the greatest things I've ever done. But, as was babysitting, it is not always all it's cracked up to be.

Today we embarked on another journey in parenthood: potty training. Having a child who can go to the bathroom on their own, no diapers to change (or buy!) and more freedom overall is something I am excited about. There was a moment today, though, after 3 accidents in the floor, that I was consumed with fear and doubt. What am I doing? Why am I doing this? Is he too young?

Most of those fears play into me not feeling adequate enough to take on this task. I'm finding that a lot of parenting boils down to how disciplined I am to stay on top of things. Potty training is no different. My eyes have been glued on Cooper and his underwear all day. Are you dry, Cooper? Do you have to go potty? There's the timer - it's potty time! You had an accident!? When we pee, we pee in here. When we poop, we poop in here. We have to flush, remember how Elmo flushes? Diapers are all gone cooper, no more diapers.

Today when I was having my moment of doubt, the voice of comfort spoke out. "You can do this. He's ready. It's only been a few hours. Don't expect too much the first day. It's in all the things you've read. It's going to be hard. But in the end it will be worth it. Don't. Give. Up." Out of my dark hole I came, with and encouraged heart. Cooper's next time on the potty: success! He peed. And I made quite the big deal out of it. Since that moment, we've had 3 successes and 2 accidents. I can't believe he has done as well as he has on day 1. The approach I'm using should have him trained in 7 days. *Fingers crossed* - It will take a very disciplined me to make it happen.

So, if you were over for coffee today, we'd talk about that, and how you have to sit on and walk over all sorts of towels at my house today.
And how the only way I can get him to stay on the potty for more than a couple of seconds is to turn on the tv with his discovery kids ball contraption to play with.

Isn't that how you go to the bathroom?

2 comments:

  1. "Out of my dark hole I came..." Is that what the poop said?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh .. yeah ... there are few other things in Motherhood that will make you feel like a crazy mad woman than potty training! I've had 3 kids and they were all different to train, you would think w/ the 3rd one you would know all the tricks, but it all comes down to each child's personality(I believe). My philosophy(now that I am done w/ all that) is When they're ready, they're ready. It's seriously not worth getting yourself all worked up and stressed about! You're doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete