Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Advent - Week 1

How in the world is it already Christmas? When I think back to Christmas when I was little, I can't tell you the gifts I got. I can tell you, however, the traditions we had and the activities we partook in. Because of that, it's my goal to do an advent calendar with Cooper every year. He may not remember the toys. But he will remember these traditions.

This year I helped create an advent calendar for NewPointe families. So, in November Cooper, Andrew, and I did most of the activities for the website. The only bummer about having done the advent is that we've already done the activities and aren't doing them with everyone else! However, I have created a make-shift advent this year. Each day we read a bible verse, a Christmas book, and do an activity.

Here are the first week's activities:

Day 1: Hang Christmas lights to remember who the true light is...Jesus!
We ended up decorating for Christmas at our house this day.

Day 2: Make a felt Christmas tree.
I saved last year's so it was an easy and fun activity.




Day 3: Serve someone to shine Jesus' light.

When I asked Cooper how he wanted to help serve, he said "I want to help you drive your car." We went with grocery cart instead.

He also helped me pump gas.

And when we got home, I let him drive the car in the driveway.


Day 4: Make a Jesus ornament.
He wrote "Jesus" on his own.


Day 5: Make a Gingerbread Stable.
I got a bunch of outdated candy from the discount grocery store. Sunflower seeds on the roof, black licorice on the walls and the manger. Blue candy for Mary, purple for Joseph. Green candy straws for the grass. Lemon heads for baby Jesus, and the head of the angel (the white and yellow thing to the right of the stable). We used marshmallows and toothpicks for the star and the angel. 


Day 6: New Phila Christmas parade.
Turns out, it snowed during the time this parade was going on, so we skipped it. We still read the verse and book with Aaron.

Day 7: Dover Christmas Lighting and Parade.
This was actually a very fun event. It was small town cheesy, but also small town wonderful. Aaron was here to partake in the fun with us. Yahoo!
Waiting for the lights to go on and for the parade to start.
Cooper and Uncle Aaron.
Cooper and Mommy.
Cooper and Daddy - excited? Trying to stay warm?
Right after they turned on all the lights in the town square.

Then the parade started.




The art studio was in the parade. 

I don't think they wanted their picture taken.


This is where we will take Cooper to see Santa this year. Speaking of which, he knows what he wants. Check out the video below of him telling me what he wants for Christmas.



1 comment: