Friday, December 2, 2011

He's not mine

The kitchen is the room I frequent the most. Between 3 meals/day, prep and clean up, plus snacks, and drinks, and coffee, trash runs, and the dryer being there too, I'm there often.

Yesterday I was cleaning the kitchen when I remembered:
Cooper is not mine.
He is God's.
And God is free to do with him what he chooses, when he chooses.
And that scares the heck out of me.

The parts where God will use Cooper to do amazing things is awesome.
Maybe God will use him as a preacher.
Or by leading his friends to Christ.
Or travel the world telling God's love story to all.
Maybe he'll grow up to be a man that lives for God in every area.
Those thoughts are awesome.
But what if God uses Cooper in a tragic way?
Like an illness.
Or learning disability.
Or his death.
Scary, right?

Thinking about those scary things makes it harder for me to give Cooper to the Lord.

But Jesus is my hope.
He is what I build my life upon.
And he is what I want Cooper's life built upon, too.
I hope I can always hope in yucky life situations.

So, despite the scary thoughts, I declare that Cooper is not mine.
He is God's.
Given to us to take care of at this time.

I just pray it's a long lifetime Cooper gets to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment