Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Never. Lazy?

I struggle with being lazy. Please, someone, tell me I'm not alone in this.

Truth is I would much rather stay in my comfy pjs all day, playing with Cooper, and just moseying around.

Bigger truth is that God has called me to something more in my life than that.

I know that without a doubt God placed a desire on my heart to be a stay at home mom. It came after a few months as a full time working mom. You can read my Big News Post to learn more of how this desire came to fruition. I told Andrew the other night how thankful I am that he supports me in this, and for his hard work to make it happen, because I feel more fulfilled at this time of my life than ever before. It's a wonderful feeling to know I am right where God intends me to be.

I recently finished a book called Beautiful in God's Eyes, which is all about the Proverbs 31 woman. I want to be like that woman that God so beautifully depicts. I know that it will take me years of hard work and dedication to get there. Anyhow, this book really challenged me. Challenged me with things like, "A proverbs 31 woman is never lazy." That's right, it didn't say "finds time to rest each day, rests on the weekends, or tries her best to be productive."

She is
Never
NEVER
N.E.V.E.R
lazy.

That quote knocked me back a few thousand feet. I am far from never being lazy. So, I had to examine myself, my day, my activities, my whole world basically. And I had to figure out the things that made me lazy.

I was searching around Pinterest (doing a lazy thing) when I stumbled upon a great daily and monthly cleaning schedule. And then it hit me. I need to make a schedule. I need to set goals. I can't just go from day to day without a plan. So, I spent the rest of that day making a schedule. Each day I have a chore to do, which if I'm maintaing the cleanliness of my home, will only tak 15-30 minutes. I also TRY (I fail at this part often) to do one load of laundry each day. My day also consists of meal prep, dishes (I really miss having a dishwasher) and Cooper. It might sound crazy, stupid, or just too simple, but only having one chore/day makes me get through my day much easier. It's nice knowing that there's only one thing I need to get done. And, if I have a really busy and don't get to it, then that's ok, because that chore can wait another week and not get out of hand. Some of you have asked about this list, so here you go.

Mondays: Dust whole house
Tuesdays: Vacuum whole house (Cooper's favorite day)
Wednesdays: Upstairs bath
Thursdays: Downstairs bath
Fridays: Kitchen
Saturday and Sunday: I do an un-31 woman thing and relax and spend time with my family.

I have this typed up, hanging on our fridge, with the quote, "Love beyond words" because doing these things is one way I show Andrew and Cooper how much I love them.

I also make a list each morning of things I need to do that day. It just feels nice to cross things off a list.

Then I have a monthly chore chart. It's also hanging on the fridge, with the quote, "Find joy in the journey now." I have to find joy in doing these things, because this list is not as easy.

January - closets
February - bedrooms
March - fans and fixtures
April - blinds and curtains
May - kitchen
June - carpets and floors
July - baseboards
August - vents
September - bathrooms
October - laundry room
November - furniture
December - open for Christmas fun.

So, there you have it. The schedule that helped me. Hopefully it helps some of you, too.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the book:

My work at home is eternal, meaningful, and important, and it is my supreme service to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment