Friday, November 4, 2011

The time we took Cooper trick-or-treating


There is something unexplainable about the joy of watching your child enjoy things you once did when you were little. The sights, sounds, and smells of the holidays all bring back such vivid and wonderful memories of my childhood.

***

This Halloween was no different. From carving pumpkins, to playing in leaves, to trying on his costume, to walking down a street (in cold weather with fall trees) I was reminded of fun times. I must say I was blessed with a great childhood – lots of love from family, lots of fun memories. However, there was something about creating memories with Cooper that made this Halloween the best Halloween I’ve had….ever….that I can remember, anyway.

***

We made cookies.

Cooper likes to eat what we cook, while we cook it.

We carved pumpkins. He drew on a pumpkin and I cut out some of the shapes. He hated the inside and was scared of the fire, or “sire” as he says it (can’t say the “f” sound yet).

We played in the leaves.

We tried on his costume.


And we went trick-or-treating.

I wasn’t sure how he would handle it. But he did really well. The first couple of houses we went to Cooper was a little shy and scared. But once he realized they gave him candy, he was ok to go up to the house.

He would look in his bag and say “trick-or-treat” and “candy” to the people handing out sweets.

He was so fun to watch as he waddled (he had many layers on) around from house to house, sometimes running, in the red cowboy boots I had when I was little.

I don’t think a smile left my face the entire time.

What joy children bring. What a joyful blessing we have in Cooper.

Psalm 37:26(b) “…and their children will be a blessing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment